The 90s, TV and Movies, Kiwiana, Potluck… What more do you want in a quiz? Here’s seven rounds of pure pop culture goodness – grab your girls (virtually, of course), cue up a Zoom and enjoy! (Answers below!)
ROUND ONE: THE 90s
- What group sang the Macarena?
- What was the make and colour of the car OJ Simpson drove during his infamous police chase?
- Whitney Houston had a massive hit in 1992 with I Will Always Love You. Who was the original performer of the song?
- Macaulay Culkin was the first child star to be paid $1m for a film role – for what film?
- What was the bestselling rock album of the 1990s?
- What wildly popular 90s toy was feared to be a tool for foreign spies?
- What year was Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone released?
- What girl band, created via a reality show, first formed in 1999?
- What hit song was unwittingly written about deodorant?
- What was the name of the default game loaded into every Nokia phone?
ROUND TWO: TELEVISION AND MOVIES
- What is the name of the motel the Rose family stay in in the final season of Schitt’s Creek?
- What are the names of all four Charmed Ones?
- What was the name of the High School in 10 Things I Hate About You?
- In the 1994 movie Four Weddings and a Funeral, whose funeral does the group attend?
- In Practical Magic, what is Sally’s dream man’s favourite shape?
- What is Jake’s last name in Brooklyn Nine Nine?
- Rege Jean Page plays the Duke of Hastings in Bridgerton – what is his character’s first name ?
- What is the spell in Harry Potter that makes things levitate?
- BD Wong voices Captain Li Shang in the animated musical Mulan, but which 70’s teen heartthrob provided the character’s singing voice?
- Emma Thompson thought her husband had bought her a necklace in Love Actually, but instead she received an album by which artist?
ROUND THREE: SPORT
- What Black Cap bowler’s best stats were famously 9/52?
- Who is the most capped Silver Fern?
- In what year did we win the Rugby World Cup with the score 8/7? (Bonus point for who it was against)
- What All Black got in trouble for a handbag incident in 2006?
- Which New Zealand cricketer was married to a former Miss Universe?
- In which sport did Yvette Williams represent New Zealand?
- What was the name of the boat that won the America’s Cup in 1995?
- Which sport has the position of chasers, beaters and keepers?
- Who is the most successful Olympian?
- Which former All Black founded orange juice company Charlies?
ROUND FOUR: KIWIANA
- What MP told the nation to ‘spread their legs’ during a Covid-19 press conference?
- Name the two women who have fronted the Better Living ads
- The infamous Chloe was from what small town in New Zealand?
- This chocolate bar was voted NZ’s best in August?
- Jacinda Ardern’s first job was working in a …?
- What was New Zealand’s first capital?
- How many articles make up the Treaty of Waitangi?
- What is the slogan of Edmonds?
- Who is the comedian who found fame felting during 2020’s level four lockdown?
- According to a 2017 statistic, what is New Zealand’s favourite dress up costume?
ROUND FIVE: LITERATURE
- The Babysitter’s Club books are by which author?
- Name the two warring families in Romeo and Juliet?
- The Hogwarts motto reads in English as ‘Never Tickle a Sleeping ______?’
- In ‘Gone Girl’ what is the name of the town and state Nick and Amy move to?
- ‘Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same’ is a quote from what classic?
- ‘Doublespeak’ is a term used in what novel?
- What is the name of Nancy Drew’s boyfriend?
- Pip is the main character in which Charles Dicken’s novel?
- In what century was William Shakespeare born?
- Tracey Beaker is a character created by which author?
ROUND SIX: MUSIC
- What was Freddie Mercury’s real name?
- Who was the first ever American Idol winner?
- Ryan Gosling was once the legal dependent of which superstar singer’s mum?
- Whose Superbowl halftime show featured a dancing shark?
- What is the nickname of Lady Gaga’s fans?
- What was the name of the Kiwi music store that shut its doors in 2009?
- Complete the next line: ‘Jackie came, she went away…’
- The song ‘Proud Mary’ was first recorded by which band?
- Who described her breasts as ‘small and humble’ and unable to be confused with mountains?
- Lizzo plays what instrument?
- Which South American country has won the most Miss Universe titles?
- The dog Mutley was a character on what 60s cartoon series?
- Skoda are a car brand from which country?
- What is the lightest of all elements?
- In which country did coffee originate?
- What two words are combined to create Spam?
- What common symbol’s technical name is an octothorpe?
- The traditional 100 folds in a chef’s hat represent what?
- What’s the national animal of Scotland?
- Who hosts The Chase?
- What group sang the Macarena? Los Del Rio
- White Bronco
- Dolly Parton
- My Girl
- Alanis Morrisette – Jagged Little Pill
- True Bliss
- Smells like Teen Spirit
TELEVISION AND MOVIES
- Prue, Piper, Phoebe, Paige
- Wingardium Leviosa
- Donny Osmond
- Joni Mitchell
- Sir Richard Hadlee (Paddles)
- Laura Langman
- 2011 (France)
- Tana Umanga
- Martin Crowe
- Long Jump
- Black Magic
- Michael Phelps
- Mark Ellis
- Chris Hipkins
- Wendy Meyer and Leah Panapa
- Kit Kat Chunky
- Fish and Chip shop
- Okiato (Russell/Kororareka)
- Sure to rise
- Chris Parker
- David Bain sweater
- Ann M Martin
- Montague and Capulet
- North Carthage
- Wuthering Heights
- Ned Nickerson
- Great Expectations
- Jacqueline Wilson
- Farrokh Bulsara
- Kelly Clarkson
- Justin Timberlake
- Katy Perry
- Little Monsters
- ‘Deep in the valley I kissed her that day but’
- Creedence Clearwater Revival
- The Flute
- Wacky Races
- Czech Republic
- Spiced ham
- The 100 ways to cook eggs
- Bradley Walsh