Guys, it’s TIME. You know that passport that’s been gathering dust in a drawer since March 2020? Take it out. Your suitcase that’s been storing shoes in the garage? Empty it! We’re finally in the clear to travel again, and if you’re planning your first escape away from Aotearoa in a while, a Fiji holiday has to be top of the list.
There’s so many reasons why a Fiji holiday is the way to go – it’s close, it’s convenient, it’s beautiful, it’s magical. You can do as much or as little as you like. And it’s a great way to help our Pacific Island neighbours after two years of hard slog with borders being closed.
Plus if there was ever a time you deserved to lie in the sun by a pool with one of those ridiculous cocktails that have those tiny umbrellas on them, it’s now because you DESERVE it.
Thanks to Tourism Fiji, we popped over to the Islands to do the hard work for you (ok it wasn’t that much hard work) and investigate three epic home bases you can choose to stay at for your dream winter escape – and as an added bonus, we found the one activity you simply can’t miss out on.
For the girl’s trip – Radisson Blu Resort, Denarau
My girlfriends and I have a rule for holidays – if there’s no swim-up bar at the resort, we’re not interested (and yes, this does tell you everything you need to know about our holidays style.)
If you’re heading over to Fiji with one goal in mind – relax, relax, relax – then sticking to the mainland is the easiest way to go, and Denarau is the perfect place to be. With lots of resorts in close proximity, you’re only a stroll away from other restaurants and bars – but if you simply want to stay by the pool, this is the place for you.
The Radisson is that perfect mix of low-key, down-to-earth vibes with lovely facilities that’ll leave you feeling both comfortable and special. The rooms are a good size – perfect if you’re sharing with a mate – and the West-facing resort means the sunsets are epic, simply grab a bottle of Fiji Gold and watch as day turns to night.
Like any good resort should include, there’s an adults-only pool adjacent to the main pool so you can get some peace and quiet, and the spa (from experience) will give you one of the best massages of your life.
But the pièce d résistance of the Radisson has to be its food. The resort boasts six different dining options, and has the BEST breakfast buffet on the mainland (there’s doughnuts. I don’t feel like I need to say any more). My pick? Try the beachside Byblos Lebanese restaurant – the food is out of this world, and a gorgeous platter of small Lebanese bites is actually the perfect kind of food for when you’re on holiday by the sea.
For a family adventure – Castaway Island Resort
Fiji is such that you can take the kids pretty much anywhere (well except for the adults-only resorts!). Kids Clubs are legendary in Fiji – hand the children over to lovely carers for the day, and they’ll come back exhausted, happy and probably with a braid or two in their hair.
There are dozens of resorts on the mainland where your kids will have an epic time on your Fiji holiday, but if you want to combine a family holiday with a bit of romance and ‘you time’, Castaway Island is the place for you.
A 45-minute speedboat trip away from Denarau (or a 10-minute chopper ride if you’re fancy), Castaway Island is the place, yup you guessed it, where Tom Hanks filmed the infamous movie (it was named Castaway BEFORE the movie, they’re quick to point out).
What awaits you is an actual tropical paradise, with more than 60 stunning bures nestled on the shoreline. They really want you to slow down at Castaway – there’s no internet or television in the rooms, and the windy paths aren’t marked with signposts on purpose, because ‘you want to feel like a real Castaway!’.
As well as stunning restaurants and bars, and a host of activities like snorkelling, diving, coral planting, high tea, banana boats, paddle boarding, yoga, tennis, wood carving, fishing and dolphin watching (and more!) it’s the complimentary kids club that’ll have you really excited.
In all my time in Fiji, I’ve never seen happier kids than at this resort – and as one parent remarked to me, ‘They listen to their kids club carers far more than they listen to us!’. There’s also a teens club that’s a little more sophisticated for your young adults – AND babysitting services are also available for a fee.
Grab a cocktail and relax!
For the romantic escape – Sofitel Denarau
If you’re heading away to reconnect and recharge with your significant other, I would usually advise you to head away from the mainland and out to an island to really unplug and unwind.
But then I went to the Sofitel in Denarau and completely changed my mind.
If you’re child-free for your Fiji holiday, book into the Waitui Beach Club – an adults-only sanctuary located within the main resort, and your own personal paradise that you’ll never want to leave from.
A resort with a resort, the beach club boasts an incredible infinity pool (yup, swim-up bar included, don’t worry I checked) as well as luxurious lounging chairs and day beds and a chic beachside set-up that you’ll want to Instagram quick smart.
You get a bespoke cocktail of your choice on arrival, and every day between 11 and 3, you can enjoy complimentary roving refreshments poolside, with canapes and drinks also served between 5 and 6pm. There’s always a friendly face willing to help, and you’ll want for absolutely nothing so you can simply focus on spending time with your partner.
But if you do decide to venture up to the main resort, there’s also a nightclub. Yup, an actual nightclub – one of Fiji’s best, according to the locals.
The best activity in Fiji? Sailing on Sabre
If you need to get away from the pool for just one day, then might I humbly suggest South Sea Sailing, Fiji’s newest day experience.
Climb onto their brand-new sailing catamaran, Sabre, and get ready for a day of cruising around the Mamanuca Islands, with stops for snorkelling, swimming and lunch.
With comfortable booths as well as loungers, and beanbags on the bow trampolines, sit back and relax with a cocktail from the on-board boat as you sail to your first snorkelling location at a tropical reef, before you anchor opposite a sandbar that rises straight out of the ocean.
Choose to lounge onboard and enjoy the slide that’ll shoot you straight into the ocean, or swim out to the sandbar, where the Sabre’s crew have already paddle boarded over deck chairs and a chilly bin full of beer.
A really good BBQ lunch is also included, as well as two hours of house beer and wine during lunch.
It’s actually the perfect day out where you can do as little or as much as you like – and trust me, even if it’s pouring with rain, it’s an incredible experience. Don’t miss it.
🌴 COMPETITION – WIN FLIGHTS AND THREE NIGHTS FOR TWO IN FIJI! 🌴
Fiji is open for happiness – and it’s never been easier to jump over to our Pacific Island neighbours and say bula! Now that there’s no three-night stay requirement, anyone can pop over to the islands for weekend escape – but we’re wanting to help one lucky winner have the holiday we all deserve! Thanks to Tourism Fiji, we have the most INCREDIBLE giveaway! One winner will win a three-night stay at the gorgeous Radisson Blu Resort (breakfast included!) as well as return economy flights for two on Fiji Airways from Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch.
To be in the draw to win, head to our Instagram @capsule_nz) and tag in who you’d take on this epic holiday. You must be following Capsule to be in to win. Share to your story for bonus entries!
Full terms and conditions for entry are below.
Competition closes next Wednesday 13 April at 9pm, with the winner announced on our story.
This competition is not endorsed or sponsored by Instagram or Meta.
GOOD LUCK and bula!
Terms & Conditions:
Eligibility: To be eligible for the prize, entrants must be a resident of New Zealand, 18 years or over, have a valid passport which does not expire within six months of winners’ travel dates and be fully vaccinated with a Fiji recognised vaccination.
Travel period: Trips must be redeemed in shoulder season within the following dates and at the discretion or hotel/resort availability
- April 1, 2022 – April 7, 2022
- April 24, 2022 – June 23, 2022
- July 10, 2022 – September 15, 2022
- October 9, 2022 – December 20, 2022
- Prize is non-transferrable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash
Not Included in the prize:
- Airfare to Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington Airport
- Travel Insurance
- COVID-19 testing (pre-departure testing and in-country RAT)
- Meals not specified in the prize description, alcohol, incidentals and any activities or touring not included in prize
About these Terms
By entering this promotion, you accept these Terms and Conditions (Terms).
- To enter, you must be a NZ resident aged 18 years or over.
- The entrant and travel partner of the entrant must be fully vaccinated with a Fiji recognised dose.
- We do not accept entries from our employees (and their immediate families), or employees of any company associated with this promotion. Immediate family includes current or former spouse, child, parent or grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, or cousin.
- We may contact you to verify your identity, age or place of residence to confirm your eligibility to enter.
- One entry is permitted per entrant, your first entry will be deemed to be the entry (we will disregard later entries including entries submitted via alternative accounts).
- The winner must be available to travel during the travel period April 1, 2022 – December 31, 2022, subject to blackout dates. Additional travel required to get to Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington Airport is at the expense of the prize winner. Prize winner and his/her guests must travel together on the same flights in both directions. Prize is non-transferable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash.
- Tourism Fiji accepts no responsibility for any variation in prize value.
- Tourism Fiji and the host resort reserve the right to substitute the prize in whole (or any of its components), with a substitute prize of equal or greater value.
- The winner is responsible for all costs associated with the prize that are not specifically included in the prize, including (where applicable) COVID-19 testing, visas, transport, meal costs, spending money, insurance and all other incidentals. The winner is also responsible for all necessary travel documents, including valid passports and insurance. To be deemed valid, passports of prize winners must not expire within six months of travel dates specified.
- The winner is responsible for all costs associated in any unforeseen circumstances regarding the closure of home country borders, or the reequipment of home isolation upon return. This includes but is not limited to; extension of accommodation, rescheduling of flights and/or transfers within Fiji.
- Accommodation and transfer agreements may include terms requiring payment of a security bond. Such payments must be made by the winner(s) to the relevant provider.
- Tourism Fiji and Host assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alteration of entries. Tourism Fiji and Host assume no responsibility for any injury or damage to participants or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in this promotion.
- Neither Tourism Fiji nor any other person or party associated with this promotion shall be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with either participation in this promotion or with any prizes offered.
- These Terms refer to NZT time unless otherwise stated and will be run under NZ court of law.
- We reserve the right to suspend or cancel the promotion if we become unable to conduct it as reasonably anticipated due to reason beyond our reasonable control.